7.14. Provide an alternative to each CAPTCHA that is only a sound or only a visual test
For each CAPTCHA (anti-spam system) that is only a sound or only a visual test, an alternative must be provided.
- A sound alternative for a visual CAPTCHA.
- A visual alternative for a sound CAPTCHA.
- A text alternative in the form of a simple question for a sound or visual CAPTCHA.
For each CAPTCHA, provide a method for reloading the content, because it is often difficult for users to understand it the first time it appears.
Good practice is to provide, in addition to the reload solution, information on how to contact the website manager, if the CAPTCHA cannot be typed in (a link to the “Contact” page, a phone number, etc.).
CAPTCHAs are designed to block spambots that use more and more sophisticated techniques to circumvent them.
This means that it is increasingly difficult for users to decipher them. By definition, a CAPTCHA will never be fully accessible, so the best solution to ensure accessibility is to do without it or to prefer security tests presented as logical tests.
Find out more
- Inaccessibility of CAPTCHA.
- CAPTCHA alternatives and thoughts.